Thursday, February 11, 2010

Time Marches On...


"Reloj no marques las horas..."


I can remember in the movie, Selena Quintanilla's character complaining to her dad, "But I don't want to sing in Spanish!"

While the movie doesn't really have anything to do with this post (it's an interesting flick and should be required viewing for any South Texas resident), the lyrics do.

Lately, it seems I can't find enough time to do all the things I want to do. Shall I make a list?

1. Family
2. Work (homework)
3. Guitar
4. PS3
5. Blogging
6. Reading
7. Sleeping
8. Showering
9. A full night's rest.

Call me old, but damn if there ain't enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do, and just not have enough time. Obviously there are things that must be done every night. But what about nights when I gotta add to the list washing dishes, or running some other errand? It just doesn't happen.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit of stress from the packet I received in the mail just the other day. It's that time of year again, and in the next two weeks, I have spent from eight to twelve hours grading packets that have to be back in the capitol on an exact timeline. I've been an ass the last few years and put it off until the last few days, but a-ha the miracle of Internet allows me to profess my intention of maintaining a disciplined schedule of scoring said packets.

I guess I shouldn't complain. I love doing things with my family. The fact that my list is even that long is almost embarassing when I think back to the incident of a few days ago.

Ever have problems managing your time? Feel free to share.

Shazam!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

I agree. It seems that there's never enough time. I have to write it into my schedule or I forget. Normally, I get to catch up on my sleep on Saturday but tomorrow we go to Servanthood Saturday so we get up at 7:30. Maybe, I'll take a nap. LOL As a side note, there's a guy that I work with who is from Corpus. He went to Jr. High with Selena and actually had a couple of dates with her in Jr. High.

The Mert said...

Well, bidi bidi bom bom!

Thanks for the commments, Marilyn.

I'm learning it doesn't get easier as you get older, just more sophisticated. You get a handle on something, and something else comes up.

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Lately, though, I've given more attention to the rest part of your equation. Gadgets and technology haven't given us easier, more care-free lives they way that the industries who seel these wares have promised for years. They have only freed up time for us to cram other, non-essential b.s. in our days. How do you fight human nature?