Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Mr. Wendel eats Whataburger


I happened to be in San Antonio today, taking my son for some tutoring, and ran a few errands while he was in class.


Exiting the local Home Depot, I glanced to see a man approach the driver of a truck parked in front of my vehicle. The door quickly slammed shut and the man continued on, encountering me.

He approached me, and asked if I knew anyone who was looking for a hard working fellow with various carpentry and handy-man skills. My reply was simple, that No, I didn't; sorry. He then asked if I could help him to get something to eat for his wife and son, hinting at an offering of some change or a dollar or two. As per my usual habit during an encounter such as this, I proffered my usual response: I won't give you any money, but I'd be happy to buy you and your family dinner.

Fate is usually predictable and declines this offer, but Robert wasn't cheap; he was hungry.

He took me up on the offer and quickly made his way to the What-a-Burger located about a 1/4 mile away across the parking lots. He was about halfway there after I finished loading up my stuff, and I drove by him to ensure that I was actually going to meet him there.

He quickly offered a great many thanks and blessings, and I just smiled and replied, "No problem, glad to be of some help." I don't normally do this, and as mentioned earlier, my usual response elicits a negative response from the transient.

Robert easily suggested that I did not have to wait with him, but I said No, that's the price of a free meal: a conversation. As his food was prepared, he and I sat briefly and talked about his son (who's 7) and his wife (who is "a bit strange at times"). We didn't discuss how he arrived at his current situation in life; that really wasn't my business. We talked about how little work he got, barely making it at times, but always feeding his family somehow. He tried to work as much as he could get the work. Robert didn't like pan-handling, but he would do it to feed his family.

Our conversation wasn't very long, perhaps five minutes, but it did give me just an idea of how so many people live I was saddened by this, but also thankful for all that I do have.

When I shared this story with my son, I asked him what would he have done. "I would have given him some food, Dad, because he didn't have no money or anything."

I guess $18.45 can buy more than just a meal sometimes.

2 comments:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Excellent post, my friend. Than you for sharing.

Marilyn said...

That's awesome! I've known others who offer sandwiches that they prepare at home. You can tell who are truly needy when they either accept them or decline them. I've seen those similar situations in Indy but not to often here in Anderson.