Saturday, February 06, 2010

Personal Saturday

What a day.


I was fortunate enough to score some sweet tickets to the rodeo today, and even better, I would be attending with my wife, in addition to my good friend Tom and his wife as well.

I have to say, the rodeo itself it pretty cool. If you've never been, try it at least once. Watching these athletes (yes, that's what they are) go at it to perform their absolute best, often times with the aid of a horse and/or another person (think team roping or steer wrestling). Truly artistry in motion.

One point that may come up: animal cruelty. No animals were hurt today, but I can't comment on their comfort. I can say this however: In the event of Calf Roping (where the cowboy ropes the steer around the neck or horns, and then ties together three of the legs), there were two instances where the cowboy roped the calf, but instead of continuing, the rope was in an awkward position. This wasn't an illegal rope, but the cowboy knew that it wasn't the best for the animal, given the conditions. Sportsmanship. It wasn't about getting yours and not caring about the animals (because we are still going to eat those animals and wear their skin, right?).



The concert that followed was Tim McGraw. He put on a nice show and really got his groove on with singing. Not nearly as animated as other performers (I happen to favor Garth's antics), but I do like his catalog of songs. Got to talk musicianship and instruments with Tom, hold hands with wifey during those ballads. Good stuff.

Best part of the day, after coming home to the kiddoes? I started reading Heaven and Hell: My Life with the Eagles, a book by Don Felder. If you are an Eagles fan, you might want to check it out.

Best line so far?

"Pubert was, for me, an agony of teenage confusion. Hairs sprouted, bones grew, skin erupted, my voice broke, and all manner of alarming thoughts stole into my head. Ripples of heat would pass through my body at the very thought of a girl..."

Damn, sounds like seventh grade again.

Shazam!


No comments: