Thursday, February 18, 2010

Quick Tech: TuneGlue°


So how do you go from Steve Perry and Journey to Cutting Crew?

TuneGlue°, that's how.

I found this little gem of a time wasting music discoverer while cruising on my Google Chrome extension, Feedly (yes, Google does offer some good stuff...).

Before I digress, TuneGlue is a simple tool that allows you to discover common links or threads between bands and artists out there.

For example chances are, if you like The Eagles, then you like Glen Frey and Don Henley. If you like them you will note from the really small pic that those two lead up to Little River Band, Steve Winwood, and Eric Carmen. Have you heard of them? Maybe, maybe not. And that's the point.

I found myself just trying to see how many of the bands/artists I actually knew and was surprised to see the influences and relationships between the nodes. You can choose which to expand, which to delete, and even move them around to a better viewing position.

I didn't like that you couldn't really zoom in or out (at least in the brief time I played with it). But check it out.

Hopefully, I can do a few of these quick tech pieces a week. It just seems like my life's really moving in that direction. Hope you enjoy this piece. And in case you're wondering, I had to Google how to do the little degree sign. It's easier than I thought.

Shazam!


No comments: