Sunday, June 07, 2009

A Higher Standard

So my son's team played in the season ending tournament, and did quite well. While it didn't matter that we finished second, what did matter was the behavior of a few adults.


Anyone who has attended a Little League game (or pretty much any other youth sports activity) will witness kids playing and competing. You'll see young stars play a level above many of their team mates, and you will also see a great many beginners make mistakes. That's all part of youth sports. What grinds at me is the adults that ruin the party.

When is it ever appropriate to use profanity around 7 or 8 year olds? It it okay to throw your hat when a play goes awry? How about yelling (not loudly coaching mind you...) at a player? Here's one: the team isn't quite performing as well as they should, so you call the boys for a practice one weekend and force them to wear pink shorts, or hats or shirts for the duration of the practice. Don't feel like the rules are working in your favor? Go chew out some of the volunteers and criticize their volunteered time and efforts.

Obviously, I've got my opinions. Notice, I never pointed out parents. Because they, along with coaches, are equally invovled and should maintain that high standard. The youth that particiapte, along with the newly involved that you get each season, see these antics (because they stand out a lot more than the positive encouragement that is everpresent) and get the idea that it's acceptable.

It's not folks. I'm sure that some may say that wearing a bit of pink won't kill you, but I fail to see the point in boys wearing pink as a punishment. Yelling [insert sarcasm] always makes someone want to work harder.

But what do I know right? I've only got experience volunteering with YMCA, Special Olympics, Spurs League, and Little League, combined with years as a high school coach. I'm not going to say that my way is the ONLY right way, but there are definitely wrong ways out there.

Go ahead and make a comment. I promise only positive encouragement.

Final Quote: "All keep an open mind and a compassionate heart." - Phil Jackson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is pitiful when adults get so wrapped up and show how little they learned about good sportsmanship when they were growing up. It definitely lowers my respect for those who can't be good examples. We were able to go and watch my nephew's (he's 10) Little League game on Saturday before we went to my other nephew's open house for graduation. It was heart warming to hear other adults in the stands cheering Ross on with each pitch he made.

The Mert said...

It's amazes me to see adults cheer others on, as it doesn't happen as often as it should.

I love letting the opposing team know that they made a good play. Doesn't matter which team made it; a good play is a good play.

Thanks for the comments!

Kristopher A. Denby said...

I agree with you completely. Parents need to simmer down when it comes to their kids activities. Be supportive, fair, and maintain sportsmanship.

What's your opinion on children's sports activities that do not believe in declaring a winner and proclaim that everyone is a winner?

Jessica said...

People take the competition aspect of it too far. Sports are supposed to be "friendly" competitions, not occasions for people to show just how nasty they can be to others. One of the reasons I was never really into sports. I like watching when people have a good attitude about it, but that is entirely too rare of an occurance.