Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Warm Fuzzy Blanket


I watched Body of Lies a few months ago, and I remember thinking ,Wow, what a good movie.


EDIT: For those that haven't seen it yet, check it out.  While it does have many political references and insinuations, it's a ficticious tale based upon occurences in the Middle East.  Terrorism, suicide bombings, beheadings (or the threat of them), and helping the "right side" are all elements within the film.  This is juxtaposed with the politics of fighting a war while maintaining the status quo, which often times conflicts with the effectiveness of fighting to begin with.

As I perused the news this morning,  I came across this bit of news.  Quite sad it seems.

I know that living where I do, I have certain priveliges and liberties that other countries dream of. Perhaps the one overlooked is that feeling of security.  That superficial and tranparent security blanket, security that we feel we have, but often times, fail to acknowledge how quickly it can be taken away.  

I laughed in the movie when Di Caprio's character said to go ahead and shoot him, he didn't wan't his head cut off.  But the reality is that in parts of the world, this does happen.  Regularly at least. As Memorial Day came and went this past Monday, I'm thankful for the security that we do have. Because no matter what, it can  be worse.



Thank a soldier.  Thank a policeman.  But give thanks either way.

Closing Quote:  "Liberty: One of Imagination's most precious possessions."  Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

7 comments:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

I read part of the linked article (will read the rest when not at work), but I have never seen the movie. I'm guessing the plot is related?

I'm thinking a follow up post is in order for those of us that aren't up to speed!

Marilyn said...

I've not seen the movie. The link is beyond words in how sad and horrible that is.

Jessica said...

Honestly? I tend to avoid those kinds of movies. I don't really like "realistic fiction." There is more than enough suffering and pain in the world, I don't want to see the fictional version. Especially a dramatized version meant for "entertainment."

You do realize that your warm fuzzy blanket is an illusion, right? Things aren't anywhere near as bad here in the U.S. as they are in Iraq, but they are far from perfect, or my mother would still be alive. I've been burglarized twice and it's was my neighbors, both times. They only had proof with the first one, though. And that one was stealing from his own brother, too.

Mama was murdered, the father of an aquaintence was murdered, my mechanic was murdered. The guy I dated many years ago, when I was in the military, had been shot twice. Before he enlisted. I won't watch the news because too much of it is just a body count.

Granted, you are not very likely to killed going out to eat, going to work, going to school, or going grocery shopping, but it has happened to people here in the U.S. Unfortunately, in this day and age, there really isn't an actually safe place. Just some places that are better than others.

The Mert said...

Wow, Jessica.

This obviously hit a nerve. Not exactly my goal. I think you missed my point though.

I said that "I'm thankful for the security that we do have...it can be worse." And it's that simple. It obviously can be worse, and I acknowledge that.

There is enough evil in this world. I was simply offering a bit of thanks to those unseen/unheard and oft times, unthought of souls that work to provide what that "blanket" that I do have.

Thanks for the comments.

Jessica said...

Yeah, you touched a nerve. I understand your point, that it's a lot better here than it is in places like Iraq, and I agree with that. The thing is, it's a lot worse here now than it was say 30 years ago. Violence and crime touches almost everyone nowadays, one way or another.

If you're in the "right" area, like a gang-held area of a major city, it can be almost as bad here as it is in Iraq. That's what I meant when I said your security blanket was an illusion. Our security forces, police and such, just don't seem to be enough anymore, despite their best efforts.

The biggest reason, to me, that the U.S. isn't as bad as places like Iraq or Northern Ireland is because that level of violence doesn't encompass the whole country. It's getting worse, though, and I'm afraid that one day, there won't be any such thing as a better, safer place.

And I honestly don't like movies that take human suffering and try to turn it into something they can make money off of. I'll watch a documentary, rather than a blockbuster, if I want an idea of what's going on over there. Just my feelings on it.

nelly said...

my warm and fuzzy blanket in my house is the the pitsol grip shotgun with 00 buckshot.......

Clipping Path said...

I'm personally a big fan of The Mertiverse blog. Thanks for sharing this post.