Sunday, May 17, 2009

Intersting Question#2: Why do you do the Blog?


I love window shopping.  Ever since I can remember, I loved walking around store, malls and such and simply previewing the possibilities for the next time gifts might be exchanged.  


My sister and I had this simple game we used to play: Pick.  We would take a good catalogue (Christmas/Winter catalogues were the best as they had the largest assortment of toys).  We would flip the pages, taking turns on picking what we considered to be the best on each page.  Sometimes, especially if you had first pick, you'd take something the other wanted just to be antagonistic.

Why did we do it?  Well, maybe because we felt like we just didn't quite have that much.  More than anything, it was cheap and entertaining fun.  We enjoyed it.

That leads us up to this week's Interesting Question:  Why do you do the Blog?  And, to be honest, it doesn't necessarly pertain to just this one.  Why do you write?  Why do you visit the blogs that you do?

Answers will vary based upon the person, but I'll go ahead and give you mine.  I write because deep down inside lurks a wannabe writer, a poseur of prose if you will.  I've written, in my humble opinion, very little of great literary value, but....I digress.  I also enjoy reading other blogs namely because they share similar interests.  Guitarz is a great one for interesting guitars and PostSecret is one that deals with real life.  They offer me a fill of things I am simply into.

So what's your reason?  Be it simple or more complex than than a typical Home Owner's Association's by-laws, share your reason.

Final Quote: "We read to know that we are not alone." - C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I posted a comment the other day but my computer ate it... :-D

I first started a blog on blogspot and now Myspace. But, I don't think of myself as a writer. I've never wanted to write stories or poetry. But, I like to talk/communicate. When I was in high school(living in Falfurrias, TX), my closest friends lived in Dayton, OH; Sherman, Corpus Christi, and McAllen, TX. So, I'd end up writing tons of letters since it was pre-internet. They weren't 2 page letters, either. I would write 10 page or so letters.

Sometimes, I'll repost articles or things that I've found interesting. Other times, I'll just share the latest funny story that happened at home with the dogs, etc. (In the course of an evening, both Mike and I ended up taking Coke Zero baths when the dogs got into it and bumped against what we were holding. Emma and Max had 3 knock down drag out fights in one evening... ROTFL)
I switched to MySpace blogs because I went there to communicate with Kristi and our/her friends. But, it was to much writing blogs both places so I went down to just one. Only two people read my blogs at blogspot anyway. I have an arsenal of friends at Myspace. Those I've met in person and even more that I haven't. Plus, I have over a dozen blogs that I read there as well. I like it that it is easier to read yours now that you have the link here on Facebook. I haven't been here as long but when Reese suggested it, I finally got a space. I realized that Facebook and Myspace are like apples and oranges. They do some of the same things (I play Mafia Wars on Myspace) but the people on Facebook are people that I actually know or have known face to face.

Jessica said...

I'm actually something of a writer, but that's not really why I blog. I don't read many blogs, and I tend to prefer myspace over any other site I've been to, but I blog to get things out of my head. Essentially, it's an online diary, and I have it set up so that very few people can read it.

I actually have two myspace accounts, and one I blog about stuff I feel comfortable telling people about and doesn't get updated very often, while the other one is basically just for me, my significant other, and my closest friends. More for me and him than anyone else. I have no secrets from him, and blogging is the easiest way for me to tell him how I feel and what I'm thinking, since we don't get to see each other that often.

I have ideas, based on dreams and such, for a couple of books, but I don't have the time, energy, or discipline to actually sit down and write a book. I did write a short story and a couple of poems that have been very well received, but nothing major. Maybe some day.