Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Guilty Pleasures: Star Wars


Yes, it's true.  I love me some
Star Wars  But then, I grew up in that era where the original trilogy was filled with magic, where you would reach out with your hand to pull something with the Force, and lightsabers were the end all to any battle.


I was reminded of my love for Stars Wars last night when I was watching Fanboys.  If you haven't seen it (and you are a fan of the Star Wars), then see if you would pass the test given in the movie (you'll see it).

I can't say I'm a hard-core fan; I've never dressed up and gone out in costume beyond Halloween.  I don't own any props.  I only have two unopened toy figures.  My son has some of the Lego toys; I've got a dozen or so books.  But I still really enjoy the whole Star Wars universe, how the characters have developed and interplay with each other.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure.  But, again, that's why it's a guilty pleasure.

P.S. - While I didn't grow up a Trekkie, I can't say I have any animosity towards Star Trek fans.  I love the new movie and Shatner is one of my fav actors.

Closing Quote: “The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”

7 comments:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Ethan and I have been wanting to see this. We almost saw it at the theater one night, but the tickets were sold out.

Marilyn said...

First it was Star Trek then it was Star Wars for me. We always went to all the Science Fiction movies and all the action packed ones as well. We were just movie nuts, period... LOL But, we usually went to the first showings when it came to Star Wars. We weren't off the chart fans, though.

Icepick said...

I was a moderate fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, but I must be honest here, I liked Trek better. And by Star Wars I mean A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The highly compromised prequels? Urgh. Nuff said.

Kristopher A. Denby said...

David--

There's an exhibit coming to the Space Center in Houston called The Cinema of George Lucas. It's going to feature props from the Indiana Jones films and Star Wars, and there's going to be interactive sets from the movies that you can run and play through. I think there will also be full size set pieces like starfighters and such. We are going for sure, and it's just a matter of coordinating all of our schedules. Just thought I'd tell you about it!

Kristopher A. Denby said...

The link.

http://www.spacecenter.org/CurrentExhibit.html

The Mert said...

Thanks for all the comments. Obviously, I got lucky and struck a common chord.

Kris, I'm aware of the exhibit, and hopefully it will be there when we get to H-Town in July. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Cheers to all!

Jessica said...

Well, I watched the original trilogy as it came out, and I wasn't introduced to star trek until the 80's, but I'm a fan of both. Honestly, I think I prefer the Star Trek universe. I adore Star Wars, but, compared to Star Trek, it's somewhat limited.

Star Trek was an ongoing adventure, with no real end in sight, while Star Wars was a specific story, about the return of the Jedi. Actually, it's supposed to be the story of the droids, R2D2 and CP3O. Star Trek was the story of a group of explorers and their discoveries and adventures as they explored the territory in space. Each has their good and bad points, but I think I prefer the less limited type of storytelling of Star Trek.