Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Immediacy: Read this Now!

I've had this blog going for close to four years.  Why? Probably not so much to change the world, but more so to really develop my writing voice and perhaps meet others with like minds.  

Recently, I established my facebook account.  I didn't do it because it was the cool thing, but more along the lines of connecting with a few old buddies.  I've been using it late as a platform to hopefully expand my readership (along with obtaining some new sources of reading as well).  

But what of the status quo?  What of those that must do this, must blog/tweet/FB/mySpace/social network in whatever en vogue forum you visit?

I don't have any other accounts.  I must admit, for the longest time, when my students would ask about it, I would state that I have friends that I actually socialize with.  A flippant statement, considering that I didn't participate in them.  Looking back, my ideas about it were shallow and archaic.  I know that they are various tools for communicating with friends of distance and yore.  But this doesn't address my question on the status quo.

Anyone around typical teenagers will be annoyed by the typical remark when for a rationale for something.  "Because...you know..." is quite standard among many of my students.  While not a specific answer, it is indicative that teens (among a great many of our populous) don't really know why they do the things that they do.  "Dude, did you see Sewand Sew's mySpace/ facebook/blah blah blah?"  The plastering of photos (many of which are quite lewd and crass) which show fun times has lead to suspensions of students more than just once.  Status quo? Look at me. Now.  NOW!

Don't believe me?  How much reality TV do you watch?  How much does society in general watch?  Apparently a lot.  USAToday wrote about this yesterday and makes a great point about reality TV: That's not a call for more reality shows. It's a plea for a return to shows...that make an effor to connect to life as we live it.  TV has basically proven that many consumers are interested in the current fad of immediacy.

My friend Kris wrote about this and it prompted me to voice my own little opinion.  I promise you, it's worth what you're paying for it.  Social networks are simply pretty cool.  Sure, you can find out how cold your friends are in Alaska (hey Alan!), see pictures of loved ones from afar, and even get your blog out to new viewers.  But, as many people do, much of the social networking that goes on is about immediacy.  "Look at me, I just took this quiz.  See if your smarter than me!".

Before you stop reading, let's be honest.  Much of it is pretty harmless fun.  Sure, some of it is stupid.  Sure, you can easily hit delete or ignore and be done with it. I admit, I did it my first few weeks, as I thought it was the cool thing to do.  In the end, I can't control what you post, how you post it, nor why you post it.  But then, in an attempt to get me to "Look at me.  Now.  Now!", you probably drove me away to begin with.

Final quote: Don't wanna wait for tomorrow/Why put it off another day/One by one, little problems/build up and stand in our way - Van Halen, "Right Now"

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I know what you mean. I'd rather watch entertaining programs also instead of reality shows. I do enjoy American Idol but I don't get to view it much because we are usually not home Tuesday nights until about 9:15. I like to take the little quizzes just out of curiousity as to what they'll say. When the results are totally ridiculous, I don't even publish them... LOL