Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lent: Day 12

What a week. No cheating, no beef or chicken or pork. Land animals rejoice (fowl too!), for I have been a good and devout sacrificer for the week. No crazy dreams, but damn if it wasn't difficult. Our Texas culture doesn't appreciate the typical vegetarian. In two days, I was offered a free lunch, but both were typical Lone Star fare: carne guisada (Mexican stewed meat and gravy; quite tasty!) and barbecue hoagies. I had to settle for rice and beans on Monday, and a barbecue hoage without meat (bread, onions, tomato sauce, pickles, and a smile; thanks to Mr. Harmon). The rest of the week strolled through without incident, but Friday and Saturday are probably the toughest, looking to eat out with family or friends but maintain the current dietary standard. Today we celebrated a nephew's birthday early, so steaks galore. I ate my fill and packed a Lupe plate for later. Amidst the struggles during the week, it's hard to stay humble and not be proud of what I'm doing. Everyone who knows says they couldn't do it, and I want to finish this right. My body is changing ever so slowly, but I imagine my heart is appreciative of the meat fasting right now.





For all this, life for me and mine is truly good. Perhaps an elaboration will follow later, but with good living comes goodness. Thanks to the Big Guy; he is my Superman. Cheers...


Picture courtesy of those wonderful artists at Worth1000.com. Man, those folks are really creative and talented.


No comments: