Friday, July 08, 2005

Putter and Cover



I finally got my putter in on Tuesday!

I quickly put it together and allowing it to bond, I began putting.

I have to say that it putts quite well. I've been using a Wilson Harmonized for a few years now (I know all its nuances) and the Contender has a few tricks up its sleeve just yet. Feel wise, I think the solid aluminum is better than the insert common in so many other putters. I have a tendency to leave the ball short, so the insert has never really been an issue (except for a duller feeling).

The putter sets up nicely. I thought it would have a more pronounced forward press, but after some practice, that was just me. I find that I can easily get it within a foot on almost any distance, but holing it from distance can be accomplished with the utmost concentration and fluid stroke. In fact, it's so easy to hit the sweet spot on the club that I find myself almost wanting to "stab" at the ball. Not good, just needs a bit of work.

As I mentioned, I decided to make a cover for the putter. Since nothing exists outside of the original DOC headcover, I used that as a starting point. I used neoprene as the material. Initially, I wanted it to have a magnetic closure, but after experimenting with that, it wasn't really coming out very clean. I went to one of my original plans, a very simple zipper along a third of the perimeter. It took about six to eight hours for me to finish the cover, but considering I haven't sewed in about fifteen years and I did this all myself, I'm happy with the results: A complete putter system put together entirely by myself.

Since it didn't make the trip with me to Lackland, I'll probably use it later this month, either at La Vernia or Kenedy (we'll just wait and see). I'm looking at dropping my putts to around 28-30 per round, but again, we'll have to see.


Cheers for now,

David

No comments: