Thursday, April 01, 2010

How Rock Band Changes My Life

I'm sure somewhere someone is trying to roll over in their grave. Or their couch. But it's true.


Rock Band changed my life. In a most good way. But before I get into that, I've got to address those naysayers out there.

Perhaps the biggest gripe I hear/read about any of the rhythm games that exist out there (take your pick: Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, etc...) is that it is by no means a replacement for playing a real instrument.

I agree with that idea. Playing a guitar/band based game is not by any means a replacement for actually getting together with some folks and actually playing real instruments. But what of the concept of playing a game?

It started mainstream with Guitar Hero. And if you actually look at the original game, it was...well...over the top. It was supposed to be; it's a video game for cripes sake. Items like Overdrive and Streak become commonplace in the following iterations. Rock Band expanded that concept with gameplay for a an entire band (lead, bass, drums, vocals). DJ Hero introduced the opportunity for dj-ing to mainstream society (it's not easy).

These are games, simple put. They offer an experience that is essentially accessible to anyone with the game console. Just like playing SOCOM or Call of Duty: Modern Ware for that thrill of team work and shooting others, playing one of these music based games offers the thrill of music based fun. It's an experience. And a fun one at that.

But back to the changing of lives...

I bought the original Rock Band because it offered the ability to play drums and sing along with the guitar, something that Guitar Hero failed to offer at that time. Honestly, I sucked at Guitar Hero so bad, I developed and presented to a number of GH fanboys the concept of a plastic add-on so that instead of sliding your hand to play the fifth key, you could keep your hand placed higher on the neck and play the green button with your thumb. But I digress...

That summer was one of Rock Band memories. Slowly, I improved my plastic guitar skills. My singing skills were improving slightly, as were my drumming skills (again, all of which on the plastic variety of instruments). Of all this, the life changing aspect was the reintroduction of music that was dear to my heart, in addition to the new music that I had yet to realize that I loved. Groups like Weezer, Kansas, Mountain, Blue Oyster Cult, and The Who mesmerized me beyond the simple primary colored bars; at one point, I had 95% of Weezer's "Say it Ain't So" memorized and would tap it out in the car on the way to work.

Life changing? At this point, more like seed planting...

What started as a gamer's addiction became a desire for something more. As much fun as mashing buttons can be, between playing Rock Band and reading my subscription of Spin magazine, the seed grew into a full out sickness. The cure? More cowbell...er, more guitar. Real guitar.

As readers of this post can attest, I started playing real deal guitar about a year and a half ago.

Now many dollars later (and into the latest iterations of music games), Rock Band reaches another level of life changing status: The Beatles. Sure this game came out in September. Sure, most everyone has heard of The Beatles. But have you experienced The Beatles?

Before you say sacrilege, just hear it out. In pure homage to the boys from Liverpool, this game plays as a tribute to one of the greatest bands ever. No stupid frills, just simply good music and incredible visuals. Good game, but how is it life changing?

The easy answer here is it's The Beatles. But that's not gonna work. Two-fold, The Beatles' catalog is just that good. Timeless, storying, and musicianship that quite honestly sets a standard that would be hard pressed to be met even today.

That segues into my second point: the musicianship. Not only does it lend itself to a more enjoyable listen, but as a budding guitarist, it gives me a greater respect for how difficult it is to actually play much of their music. Not just in real life, but even so on a five-buttoned plastic guitar.

I'm currently on a George Harrison trip to discover this Dark Horse. All I know at this point beyond his Beatles tenure and friendship with Mr. Eric Clapton. Not much, but again the road to discovery is quite a lovely one and made that much more enjoyable with friends who share the appreciation. I spent the morning practicing an early Beatles tune with my friends TurnDog and T-Dubb (Dyl was there as well, manning the camera). After an hour of that, we fired up the PS3 and rocked out to the Fab Four in their version of Rock Band. A lot of fun, bonding, friendships renewed, and father-son moments all as a result of a little endeavor called Rock Band.

Life changing? Maybe not. But altered? And how.

So my fave? Just watch and enjoy.



Or maybe you want what some consider to be the "definitive" version...



So do you play Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Did you play them? What do you think?

Comments, as always, are welcome.

Shazam!

No comments: