Sunday, April 11, 2010

Minor Leagues aren't Minor


Last night was the first time I've ever attended an ice hockey game.


It was, most importantly, a pleasant and positive experience for me and the family.

While the game of hockey isn't something I've been excited about before (save Colorado's championship run with Patrick Roy in 1996), this is more about the whole experience of it.

See, I've been to various professional sports. Probably not as many as my friend ReShawn, but my fair share.

Of all the professional sports, I'd have to say that that the minor leagues rock. Period. I've never had a better time (playoffs notwithstanding) at a professional sporting event than at the minors.

Baseball is perhaps the best all around. I've been to AA, AAA, and MLB games. Love them all. It was simply just a great family experience, but you could still get "adult" with it, if you get what I mean.

NFL...geez...it was a bunch of hype. I had a better time staying at home and watching the game. NBA? Well, it was better, but honestly, you had to have kick ass seats to really enjoy the experience (NFL, pretty much same thing in that regard). I've not been to a NHL hockey or MLS soccer match, but I would imagine it being quite similar.

I'm sure that the company you keep plays a big part in all of this. I've been fortunate to have had great company at all of these games. It just seems that the hokey little things that happen at the minor league games (can you say Puffy Taco race at Nelson Wolff Stadium?) really make it that much of an experience.

I'm sure that you can have a great experience at a major league sporting event; I simply can't afford those kinda seats. I wish I could, but I simply can't.

Ten bucks got me thirteen rows away from the glass. My son got high fives without being elbowed or shoved down, going to the players' tunnel at the last moment.

Maybe it's just a perspective thing, but I like the minors.

Now I gotta find out when the Missions host the Hooks...

No comments: