Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not just Kris's fav book...

So I downloaded Airframe in ebook format to read at leisure on my PSP. The book is as good as I can remember it.


So what are we talking about here? Wasn't I going to discuss another football movie? Change of schedule...don't sweat it.

I really like Crichton. Really. I just don't like how he ended his books the first half of his career.

SPOILER: Crichton, in my humble opinion, likes to build and build and build, then drop you off with the ending. At least he used. Take Andromeda Strain. Read the first couple of chapters. The build up, the gradual increase of suspense and detail to intricacies, is what makes Crichton so appealing to me: details. That cliff that Wile E. Coyote drops off chasing the Road Runner is what happens towards the end of Andromeda Strain. Before your panties get twisted, know this: I still like Crichton, just not his endings. END SPOILER.

I'm rereading this novel, just because. I've gotten into ebooks lately (any of my Facebook friends might realize this) and love the convenience of it. I don't have much free time during the day and my PSP allows for any time reading convenience.

As this is my fourth or fifth reading, I've come across a few similarities in this and a few of Crichton's other novels. It's almost formulaic how their are certain characters, roles, that are fleshed out exactly and fit to serve a specific role. Doesn't take away from the story, but read a few of his novels four or five times and let me know if you come across the same thing.

Down and dirty, this novel is good stuff. Set in the mid 1990's, it tracks the effects of a seemingly innocuous decision gone bad. Really bad. Crichton sets up the scene nicely and the story really flows. One interesting feature of this novel is the seeming lack of techie terms. It's there, but perhaps not as stark and overcoming as say Timeline or Disclosure. Mayge I'm such a tech nerd that I get it automatically. Whichever, it's a great read; driving pace and leave you guessing who is who and how the outcome will be reached.


Best of all? The Coyote won't be waiting for you at the bottom of the cliff.

Shazam!

2 comments:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Definitely one of my favorites of his, and it reminds me that I should go back and re-read Disclosure.

I like the new look and the multiple postings.

The Mert said...

Thanks for checking it out Kris.

As much as I like Crichton, I read/discovered this one upon your urging.


Thanks!