Saturday, January 23, 2010

Force a Symphony

As a special gift for my son's birthday, I surprised him with tickets to the San Antonio Symphony. For last night's events, we saw Michael Krajewski conducting to a series of John Williams's music.


I haven't been to a symphony before (at least not a profressional one); I've done a few college ones during my time at Sam Houston. I've seen Cats but that's about it. So last night was definitely a treat for us all.

The set list contained music from The Olympics, The Cowboys, Jaws, Harry Potter, and of course, Star Wars series.

Apparently, Krajewski has a sense of humor; and it shows. He was more than gracious and spoke to the audience, giving a bit of a story for most of the songs. More so, this humor was initially evidenced during "The Shark Theme". As those two notes built to a crescendo, a large paper fin appeared and moved along below the conductor, appearing to stalk a prey.

The night was a great night. I even saw a few of my students on a field trip with the school band (there's even a funny story there). For all the fun that we had enjoying an evening of fine music, there was one niggle that Renee and I discussed on the way home.

You can't underestimate the enthusiasm of a fanboy. As such, anything Star Wars brings them out of the woodwork. Applaud is great and so are standing ovations, but excessive hooting and hollering? I don't know. Maybe I am getting old. Renee did say it was "the Pops", but is that an excuse?

All in all, Dylan really enjoyed it.We are looking at going back for the Beatles show in March. We may really discovered something...

Shazam!

1 comment:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

We have a new performing arts center here in Austin, and I have been wanting to go. I've never been to any professional-type show like this.