Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So Good It Hurts

How often is it that one is so good at one's job, that it creates certain situations that one would despise?


I can't say that this is me, per se.  There are times I feel that maybe certain successes breeds instances where you just would have been better off having failed.

I remember really liking a particular baseball player in the mid-90's, as he was one I felt was decent and worked hard.  For all his success, he didn't really give back to the fans.  Let me clarify:  he hated/despised/abhored signing autographs.  It was once described to me that he "[used] his son like a shield when he would leave the stadium".  That really burst my bubble, but at the same time, I understand that his success on the field created problems for him once the 
game was done.  

I guess fame is a bitch, but that's not something that bothers me.

Don't get me wrong; this isn't about me being famous.  I am quite far from that.  In fact, I just recently made a huge decision that affects a great many people, in effect removing me from a certain amount of fame.

Do I have any regrets?  Absolutely not.  I put my complete self into the work I did.  Unfortunately two things happened:  1) I got burned out by another's selfishness; and, 2) I got my priorities in order.  This decision was a long time coming, but now was the time to make the commitment to my family.

I've looked forward to this decisision for some time, but even now, I'll miss that little extra duty that I did.  I'll miss the interaction with the people.  But for all that, nothing can replace being able to spend that extra time with my two boys and my beautiful wife.

Without regrets doesn't mean you can't reminisce.  But don't forget to realize where you're going.


The closing quote?  Well...

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." - Alexander Graham Bell


2 comments:

nelly said...

one word; Admiration..... you made the right choice my brother.


....And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon.......

Marilyn said...

This is so very true. My Dad had to be gone during the week for about 6 years.He was bi-vocational and sold insurance during the week out of town. It would have been nice to have had him with us more.