Monday, October 13, 2008

To My Friend...

As it appears that my counter flipped over 1500 (500 since my last major update), I take this occaision to write about something quite significant:  my friend's wedding.


This Saturday, my friend Kris and his fiancee Kelley are to wed in a small town south of Austin.  I have the honor of being part of this awesome ceremony, and as the day approaches I simply reflect back on my wedding and that promise I made to my wife many years ago.

I've never been so lucky to find my soul mate, that one singular entity that makes you complete.  And truly, my wife flatters me.  She brings out all that is best in me, even when I'm angry.  Through her, I've learned the virtues of patience and understanding, the value of family, and most importantly, the irreplaceable feeling of being love.

So to my friend, I offer you these but humble pieces of advice...

  1. Thanks - Always give thanks for that greater power that be for bringing Kelley into your life.  As it is, life works in the strangest of ways.  For whatever reason, she entered your life and there shall remain, a constant compliment to you.  For all that she brings (and you mess up), give thanks.  For all the arguments that get started, give thanks for having a fire in your lives.  For all the sad moments, give thanks for that shoulder to cry upon.  For all the stolen moments, give thanks.  If she ever asks "How many more times are you going to say thanks?", you reply should always be, "At least once more..."
  2. Little Things - Robert Brault once said, "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."  The little things all form together to make that big thing called life.  Obviously, you'll remember big things like your wedding and milestones of such; but what about those burned meals that first year?  How about incessant talking about the most mudane things, or always forgetting to throw away your soda can when you're done with it?  I'd miss my wife's nagging if it weren't there; just don't tell her that, okay?
  3. Carpe Diem - Not just some cheesey Robin Williams line, but a way of life.  You are given but this moment just this once.  Take it; seize it; rip it from the wretched hands of time and ride it out for all that it's worth.  To offer another quote, One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."  Each day offers its own rewards; seek it out with the company that you keep at that moment.
Marriage is a treasure that has oft eluded many.  Kris and Kelley, you are fortunate to make this journey together.  I wish you both nothing but shared moments of happiness and joy.  Robert Fulgham once quipped, "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul."  Lucky you, Kris; you gained the world and enriched your soul.

1 comment:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

I'm going to do my best to live up to the example thatmy parents have set for me. It will be a hard stick to measure up to.