Monday, March 08, 2010

Havaianas...still some chanclas






















So I ordered a pair of "luxury" sandals. Flip flops. Sandalias. Chanclas. You get the gist.

I first saw these in FHM a few years ago, and again in Spin Magazine. Did a bit of research, and quite frankly just wasn't too impressed with them at the time. I was quite content with my Reef Fannings (the ones with the bottle opener).

That was a few years ago. After numerous weird tan lines (due the Fanning's wide straps) and the polyurethane breaking down, it was time to look. I put it off for some time, but with an impending cruise to the Caribbean coming up, it really was time.

I knew I wanted some with thin straps, but many of them were deigned "female shoes". I really wanted a minimalist kinda sandal, but these were the only one. That was sign #1.

On a jaunt into the city for the purpose of procuring protection for my feet (like the consonnance?), I looked through a number of stores that we visited, but to no avail did the right pair jump out at me. Sign #2. I don't need a third sign.

With a time crunch on my hands, I started surfing the 'Net upon arriving at the house and after checking Crocs (the site was down...WTF?) I visited a favorite of mine, Zappos. Free overnight shipping, great selection and decent pricing, what's not to like?

Checked out the selection and even found a pair of +$100 sandals. Too rich for me. Many of hte Reef's had the wide straps I was deliberately trying to avoid. These caught my eye and..well, I bought them.

Okay, so for a bit over $20, what's not to like? A day sooner than I expected, they arrived and I've been wearing them since. Cool and breathing, supple sole, without feeling heavy or excessively flimsy. I'd liken them to a favorite pair of jeans or hoodie: just right.

I know it's early, but I've been left with a good impression thus far.

We'll see how they handle the Gulf of Mexico.

Shazam!

3 comments:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Nobody wants to see your old nappy feet here, so you taken them down south and unleash them on the Mexicans? What did Mexicans ever do to you?

The Mert said...

There was that bad taco I had, but I think the cook was some white guy. I like Mexicans. And Irish. And Asians. And Canadians. Well, Canadian bacon at least...

Marilyn said...

I'm glad you found what you wanted. I rarely wear flip flops so the Ones from Old Navy for $3 (on sale) are right up my alley.
:-D