Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Bro

     Yesterday, my brother had his birthday.  I don't think it really matters how old he is [cough frickin old cough], but he and I had a conversation yesterday, and on my way to work today, I really reflected on what he means to me.


     I remember a time when I really resented my brother.  He was always bigger than me, as most big brothers are.  For a while, during his infatuation with wrestling, he loved to practice the latest finishing move on me, usually somehow convincing me to set up on the bed and wait for the inevitable pile-driver.  As fate decided, he and I were separated for a brief time, and fate decided that we needed space and separation.  

     My brother and I probably didn't talk for a great many years.  At this point, it doesn't matter.  In fact, that time probably allowed both of us to overcome some personal issues.  Today, he and I are probably closest than we've ever been.  The profound love and mutual respect we have for each other is irreplaceable.  

     Is everything perfect?  No, far from it.  We have our issues, but it always comes back to that love and respect.  We talk frequently, more often that weekly, share our troubles and successes, 
nudie pics (not really, but heh...), and the occasional overnight trip.  My life is that much sweeter with a big brother.  Even at my old age, I still have that almost looking up to him that probably will never leave.
   
 I don't imagine anyone without siblings would understand.  Sisters understand the bond, as do brothers.  It's such a simple thing.  I guess maybe John Lennon was onto something when he penned "All You Need Is Love"

No comments: