Thursday, September 11, 2008

Guilty Pleasures: Cheesy Music

I really like Weezer.  Thanks to Rock Band, I've had a really good introduction and have procured three of their albums.


Why are they cheesy?  Well, quite honestly I doubt that Rivers Cuomo would come out and say that his band is the coolest and hottest band out there.  In his own self depricating manner, he would probably say something like, "Yeah, we're okay, but we're not as hot as Rhianna or the Jonas Brothers."  Their music is what firmly plants them into this fizzy guitar-riff filled teen angst-that- even-middle-aged-adults-feel sound that, well, is easy to relate to.  

Yeah, that's right.  Even middle aged adults feel those uncomfortable situations found socially, where the "cool ones" ignore the "outcast".  Going through most of the albums I have, many of their songs have a quite similar feeling.  Such as any long-lasting artist, Weezer has a unique sound.  Just like the Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer is able to really convey their "sound" into most of their music.  

At this point, I'm considering using one or two of their songs in the class.  The details I'll work out later, but it just reminds me of how one teacher used Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" to teach a research/history lesson all together.  Something like that.  I read at one blog how "In the Garage" and "Heart Songs" are just name-dropping anecdotes for the typical survival that makes up teen angst.  I would agree, but that's not a bad thing.  Aren't the greatest love songs such because they evoke a passionate message within us?  Those tear jerker movies, those impassioned pleas for greater humanity, and the transcending humor that can be found in most any culture:  all these fuel that which makes us human.  And for a great part of American society, teen angst exists in one form or another.  Weezer's been able to tap into that and well...for me, offer a reminescent reminder that life isn't perfect, but more so (being a teacher) that what much of my students are going through right now.

Is it cheesy?  Maybe, but I simply would retort, "WTF?!!?"  Who are others to judge you based upon merely one group that you happen to enjoy?  Vanilla Ice (7 million albums) , Milli Vanilli (14 million albums), any hyped-up boy/girl band all had their fans and support, but no one will admit to it.  

I guess that's why it's a guilty pleasure.  

3 comments:

Blogging Mollie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristopher A. Denby said...

I would never, EVER compare Weezer to Milli Vanilli or Vanilla Ice. Though both of those artists have their places in my music collection, they are not timeless the way Weezer is. Nor are they as musically talented as Weezer. I have the blue album on tape, bub. Been a HUGE Weezer fan for some time now, so I feel the beat you're laying down.

"Pull this strand as I walk away. Watch me unravel. I'll soon be naked. Lying on the floor, lying on the floor. I've come undone!!"

The Mert said...

The only comparison lies in the pleasurable guilt that one might feel in admitting to liking them. It's quite blatant in your admittance of having a tape (dude, can I say ebay?) to justify your long standing appreciation that is Rivers Cuomo and Co.

I love 'em. And I'll get paid to listen and teach with them in class. Creative writing is so awesome!

Now here's the flashback boy: Creative writing and Mrs. Stevens, you, me, ReShawn, and Sugie? Name that situation...