Monday, February 02, 2009

Guitly Pleasure: PostSecret

I've known about this website for some time now, but I guess it wasn't until a few recent events in my life really opened my eyes and gave me the life experiences to truly understand the messages being posted here.


If you get a chance, PostSecret is a website that posts secrets. Under anonymity.  For everyone to see.

A novel idea, but it goes beyond that.

Look at the picture here.  Illustration of a classic pin-up gal. Then add the words.  Two short sentences.  One sets up the idiocy; the second only proves it.

I feel for this gal (I assume it's a girl, but I could be wrong...). Chances are, she's someone who has found herself in a situation and sees this as a way out.  Should you feel sorry for her?  I won't be so presumptuous to do so, but check out the other entries.  Chances are, you've been there or know someone who has.  These folks just found enough chutzpa to actually voice a deep secret.

And I think that's a problem today in our world.  Too many secrets, with too much anonymity.  Let's be real people; if you have an issue voice it.  If someone tells you something, don't just jump down their throats; it probably took some courage to say it aloud to you to begin with. Some secrets are probably best left as such; that's why PostSecret is a pretty novel idea.  It's not a substitute for really getting the help that one needs.  I'm a firm believer in talking it over with your partner, mate, buddy, brother or sister, or the Internet (that's why I write).

Tell someone you love a secret of yours.  It doesn't have to be anything that deep.  And you may be surprised; your mate may think it really is that deep.


My secret?  I watched G.I. Joe incessantly growing up.  After seeing the commerical last night for the upcoming movie, the theme song instantly popped back up in my head.  I remember every...single...word.  And yes, Lady J is that hot.

1 comment:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

I'm really curious to see if it will be any good, or if it will just be another throw away idea someone dredged up from the 80's.

I am pretty excited about the new Star Trek, even though I never was that big a fan of the phenomena.