Monday, January 14, 2008

Wii Rocked My House

Christmas was pretty good this year.
  • The boy and I received a Wii this year. Yes, it was more for him, but he and I get joy out of it together. So here's the review/synopsis/ whatever you want to call it. If you don't want to read anymore, then scroll down.
  • First, let's talk about aesthitics. Now, I know that many would argue about it being white, but they will get over it. It's quite elegent, in a sublte and simplified way. You can set it up vertically (as in the pic) or horizontally (as I usually do when on the go). Clean and simple, that's something that appeals to me. When you have a message, a blue light will glow indicating that (very nice, I have to get more messages in teh future); otherwise, no blue light. The controlls are again simple and clean. Everything pretty much fits intuitively in your hand. My son's hands are a bit smaller, but this isn't too bad really. Perhaps the only thing that I don't like (a small niggle...) is on the stand, there are two half-circles that reach out on the sides (you can't see them in the pic, but they are there). I think that this would limit some of the places you may want to put the Wii, but at the same time, if it were without them two things would happen: 1) the stand would be less stable (a bad thing); and, 2) you would probably put the Wii in areas that wouldn't allow it to breathe well enough to avoid overheating.
  • Now, let's talk about graphics and gameplay. Actually, let's clear the air now about graphics. As many may well be aware of, the Wii lacks on the graphics side of the gaming console war. It will not display in HD, does not support 1080p. Done, that's it, do not pass go, do not collect $200. It's been established...And, yet people continue to bring this up. Obviously, it's not a priority for my son or me, so it doesn't bother us. If you are bothered by what many call "last-gen graphics), then purchase an XBox 360 or a Playstation 3. Both are great systems and support the higher definition graphics. But this isn't about those two. The Wii shines in regards to innovative gameplay. Yadda yadda yadda (Thank you, Elaine Benes!); I'm sure taht we've all heard this speil, but you haven't played Madden until you actually throw a football to the endzone via a frozen rope or literally thrown a stiff arm and broken two tackles for that pivotal first down. There are a great many games that require you to perform through specific movements to acomplish a task. For example, the included game Wii Sports is perhaps one of best to illustrate this. Bowling is perhaps my favorite on their (and this coming from a golf freak!) and your timing, force, and spin all must correlate in order to throw that deliberate strike. Simply put: the Wii actually enables you to experience that game in a manner that paralells virtual reality. When you move, so does your charcter; when you swing, so does your character. Is it perfect? Not yet. But in my twenty-five years of gaming (started with the Magavox Odyssey) this console really innovated and brought back the attention to game play. You can't help but pain your cheeks from all the smiling that occurs when you play. Don't even bring up group or party game play. It's truly a lollapalooza of the gaming consoles right now.
  • Costs and value are next, because that's all I've got left to say about it (at least for now). Is it worth it? Well, I've listed below costs from amazon.com (prices current 01-14-07) for comparison purposes.
  • Nintendo Wii + Second Controller + Second Nunchuck + Madden 08 = $360.00 (nearest USD)
  • XBox 360 (20GB w/HDMI) + Controller + Madden 08 = $441.97 USD
  • Sony Playstation 3 (40GB) + Six-Axis Controller + Madden 08 = $493.97 USD
  • I guess it comes down to your particular lifestyle and priorities. When I came into my own (emancipated, not "mommy and daddy" buying me stuff), I had a PSOne and loved it...until it was stolen from my house. Bastards...oh, okay. Anyway, cost has ALWAYS been an issue. I believe that anyone who says otherwise isn't living in the real world (teenagers, this could very well be you) or have too much money to blow (again, this may very well be overprivileged teens). Cost is real world and for me, if it costs too much, it ain't worth it. Period. Now, sometimes cost is up there and you have to save. Value is perceived in the beholder. I'm a married father of two. I'm a public servant. With a mortgage. And a golf habit (I'm jonesing now...). I don't have the luxury, nay the privilege of dropping five bills on video games (plus another bill on taxes alone). If you're lifestyle permits you this oppportunity, then by all means. But do you get your money's worth? I can't comment on that, as I believe the other systems have their merits. 360 has arguable one of the best libraries (especially if you like shooters; Forza Motorsport would take care of my fix in so many ways). PS3 is so righteous in so many ways: expanding library and Blu-Ray (This benefit alone is the one reason I contemplate purchasing one within the next eighteen months).
  • But in the end, I didn't settle for the Wii; I chose it. I liked the library, the interface, the extra benefits (online slowly coming along, internet browsing, messaging, actual activity beyond button pushing). My wife, who is without a doubt, the most non-gamer out there, can play most of these games without reading or having the attuned skills of typical gamers. And, she can have fun doing it.
  • Isn't that the whole purpose of this?

No comments: