Friday, January 25, 2008

Simplest of Things

Today, my 7-year-old and I had a bit of a father-son day. How nice it was.

It's not often I go into the city, so doing so can be a treat. On this particular occasion, it was a student holiday so my son and I had the day to make whatever we wanted to. Earlier in the week, I made an eye appointment and from there, the fates would draw us.

Dylan was especially attentive and inquisitive in the optometrist's office. Before Dr. Nguyen came into the room, he and I literally examined the various tools used to examine the eyes and ascertain the needed prescription. He would ask about a tools function, and I would do my best to describe it.

Our next stop was to feed our hedonistic and machismo-driven male selves, Best Buy. I love going there, and to have my son ask to go there is a guilty pleasure "Sure son. We can do that."
We didn't spend too much money, but picking up both copies of Star Wars: Clone Wars was especially sweet. Report cards came out this week; having an A average has it's rewards.

Following that digital high, we went to feed our stomachs. The Longhorn Cafe, a local joint, has a really nice atmosphere and great food. Not too pricey, but fair for the quality of eats. Check it out.

Stuffed with good eats and unable to take a nap, we ventured onwards. To sum it up, we did stop at another electronics store, bought some glow in the dark paint, and picked up a snack and drinks.

Why is this worth writing about? Most of the time, we do things as a family. Often, expecially this time of the year, I'm quite occupied (mentally and physically) with coaching duties and work. That's not fair for my family, especially my growing boys. A day like today really renews our bonds, but more so puts into perspective what my priorities are and what they should be.

How often do we become precoccupied with "important" things? How much does it cost to take a quick trip to the ice cream shop, the park, or even a leisurely drive around the neighborhood? I'm sure anyone can spout off some quote of X dollars, but what do you get in return? The simplest things in life can't be priced.

You child's laughter at one of your cheesiest jokes, a tight squeeze of the hands and you walk across the street or parking lot, a sincere "Thank you, Daddy", a nuzzle in the tummy of your infant child to evoke a gaggle of giggles. Days like today happen often, but I'm guilty of not taking advantage of them. Go hug your special ones; tell the ones that matter "Thanks" and that you love them. Make that call that you've been putting off for two weeks. Now is the best time. It always is.

No comments: