Sunday, January 09, 2011

The prodigal son returns...


I remember starting this blog quite a few years ago, in an effort to simply chronicle my exploits and adventures with golf. In that time, I've been fortunate to play many courses, great and otherwise, and meet many people who epitomized (and exploited) the gentlemen of golf, and vastly improved my game through hours of practice.


For all of this, I lost sight of a few things, namely the amount of time that I could have been with my family. While my coaching duties required my attention, it was the additional time that I put in beyond that required that took me away from my family. Beyond weak justifications, I finally realized that I was missing a huge part of my family due to my own actions. It was time for me to take a step away.

In the nearing two years since that time, I've played golf a total of four times, namely in charity tournaments with some buddies, but I didn't miss the game. I guess all the hours that I had put in (and away from my family) had been more than enough to satisfy the longing that I may have had.

I got an email the other day from our local golf course (the ownership is changing, and this website may quickly become outdated). Basically, there have been some positive changes made at the local golf course (new management and all) and in short, the rest of my family are interested in taking advantage of this and obtaining a membership. I guess it's funny how things go full circle. My son has a renewed interest in it, and is actually listening and following instruction. The wife is ready to take up the sport as well. All of this without my persuasion, I might add.

I'm excited about this next chapter in our lives. As I told my wife the other day as we discussed this possibility, I was always a bit jealous of the neighborhood men whose wifes would join them to play a round or two here and there. Maybe deep down, it was something I had wished for, and wow...here we are.

Pictured above, the split fairway Par-5 #11.

Shazam!

No comments: