Sunday, December 14, 2008

Destination Vacation: 600 miles

I'm about to embark on my yearly sojourn, to visit with loved ones across our lovely state of Tejas.

I started this a last year, and it was actually pretty cool. I got to see a number of close ones that I don't see too often without missing my family for too long.

I think that's the best part. In this season, we are often so worried about the various crap that we are going to give to someone or that we might receive. I hate to call it crap as many times people spend agonizing moments analyzing and debating whether to get the citrus- or mango-and-cream scented lotion for their lady friend. We talk about how Christmas (or Hanukkah or any other gift giving occasion) is about being with the ones we love, but Oh, we have to get Soandso a gift too.

Am I guilt of this? Absolutely to a certain extent. I like buying my boys gifts; they are kids. I like to get my wife certain things. My friends know that I like to get them just seemingly random stuff for the fun of it.

But in the end, I would hope that my simple and humble companionship be enough. For me, that's what I want. What other reason do I have to make this sojourn and spend three and a half days away from my boys and wife? As much as I miss them, I enjoy it that much more to see them as I drive up.

And before you are so quick to judge, I teach my boys values. But that's another story...

To you and yours, may the holidays bring love and joy in all its splendor.

Cheers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Mike already had his 90 days in so we could do a similar trek to see everyone there in Texas. He can't have any vacation until after those 90 days. I came over here to wish you a wonderful and very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I am not really into horoscopes but you and I both are Sagitarians. Fun times... :-D HUGS to all.

The Mert said...

Thanks for the well wishes.

I hope to have a decent day.

Wish you guys could come down.

See ya soon!

Anonymous said...

I was talking with your dad at supper and he told me that I misunderstood the time sequence of his vacations. He can't have one until he's been at Century Pharmaceuticals a year. :-p