Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Week of School

Ah, the sweet dew on the grass. Chirping birds in the trees. Big yellow dogs hauling kids to school.

It's that time again: back to school. You've probably been bombarded in the last few weeks with all the shills for sales and "gotta have" supplies. Most kids will probably groan that first morning, gripe about having to get up "sooo early" and trudge themselves out the door and into whichever vehicle they take to school. I remember the first day of school. Much like the comparison, I pretty much dreaded it. It marked another the end to another chapter of my childhood, irreplaceable and gone forever. Of course, there is the other side...
As a teacher, I get to ask kids various questions about their summer, shopping, what they did, etc. For the majority of the students, they, at least one part, were ready for school to be back in session. Sitting at home watching reruns, stuck on the couch (South Texas people!), and playing the same [insert digital activity here] over and over again for the 104 days of summer (thanks Phineas and Ferb). Most are willing to admit that school offers a break from the monotony that summer became. Growing up and the adventures that my buddies and I had usually took there toll and school did become that inevitable break that we secretly welcomed. School shopping will never go out of style and I'm always amazed by how shiny shoes are that first week back.
So how was it? Well, the first week back is usually the easiest for the kids. It primarily consists of forms and rules and expectations. I didn't give any homework until Wednesday, and that was pretty easy (I thought so at least). For the most part, the best part was listening to the kids discuss their summers and such. It's a long ways until the end of the school year, but each year I'm surprised by how many of my kids turn out. My expectations aren't any less this year. Maybe I'll put a little something-something here for you readers to enjoy.
How was your summer? Even if you're a working stiff, drop a line. Maybe something about your first day back to school.
Cheers!

1 comment:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Ah, I love the smell of nostalgia in the morning!